Saturday 23 February 2013

Scottish Highlands Part 2

Wednesday was a complete washout, snow forecast and although we didn't get much in Aviemore it wasn't worth going far to get stuck in the sticks.  Thursday was much better weather, mostly sunny all day. We started the day photographing Crested Tits among other small birds until lunch. It wasn't easy getting a clean background and we made hard work of it. It didn't help that the Crested Tit didn't show very well but did manage some shots that I'm happy with. The Coal Tit's were very friendly and would come take food from your hand. I took it an extra step and tried to photograph them, and came away very happy with the results. We also Saw 3 Red Squirrels, 1 Raven, 1 Treecreeper and 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers. We also heard a Cappercaille calling.

Punk rocker of the Bird world

Great Tit

Crested Tit

Great Tit

Arguing Coal Tit

In coming Coal Tit

Coal Tit feeding in my hand

Crested Tit

Coal Tit

Great Tit

Crested Tit

Crested Tit
After a nice morning with the Crested Tit's we moved onto the Cappercaillie site for a few hours. It didn't take to long to locate the male. The bird showed really well and after spending a couple fo hours we left the bird to feed in peace before going to roost. All photos below are of the male Cappercaillie. I managed the one shot I really really wanted, save it until last. To spend time with this male Cappercaillie is something I will never ever forget. Being in the presence of the king of the highlands is amazing!







 
My favourite Photo I have ever taken
My final part of my highland adventure will be up by Sunday 24th. Thanks for looking.

2 comments: