Monday 30 April 2012

RSPB Frampton and Far ings

The alarm was set for 8:00, Destinatio Frampton for the long staying Black-Winged Stilt. I have only seen these briefly in Spain last year so would be a UK tick for myself and my dad. Arriving just after 10:00 in horribly conditions wind and rain ! A quick look in the visitor centre and see whats been seen. With the news we hoped for we walked down towards the wet grasslans further down. Arriving where the Stilt was last seen another birder told is the bird has moved to another field. So I scanned the field with 35 summer Black-tailed godwits in with them was 1 Whimbrel and 5 Ringed Plover ( Both year ticks ) So we walked back down the path heading for the 360 Hide and out of the corner of my eye I saw a black and white wader, It was the Black-winged Stilt ! Lifer 206 and 7th this year alone. After watching it for about 5 minutes the wind and rain numbing our faces we carried on to the 360 hide where it was coming and going often. Great-crested Grebe have nested close to the 360 hide and in the open as well these were seen mating and dancing first time I've seen this happen. Also Skylark, Ringed Plover, Yellow wagtail, White wagtail, Avocet, Ruff, Brent goose, Gargeney and Shoveler in the area. Moved onto the next hide where there wasnt much more except 2 Gadwall and 1 Swift. Back to the visitor centre to try for the Male scaup thats been around the reedbed when the Black-winged stilt came closest it has been all day, so off I trotted in with the rain battering my face I enjoyed photographing this bird for 15 minutes whilst keeping an eye on the scaup. Horrible day for the photography and birding, If it was a sunny day then I would have come home with some better pictures. 1 Lifer and 8 year Ticks Despite the weather a nice day :)









A Red-rumped Swallow was found on Saturday by one of my Birding friends Richard Dawkins, sadly I couldn't get there on saturday due to work and sunday working to ! So I tried for it on the Monday but no sighn if the bird sadly I did manage 2 year ticks in common sandpiper and Reed warbler. Was sunny for a change so good photography weather but not much came close.






No comments:

Post a Comment